Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. Book bloggers create their own lists based on the chosen topics and post links to our lists. It’s a way of all sharing our thoughts and our love of books. And who doesn’t love lists??
So this week’s challenge was to list the top ten reasons that we love being a blogger and/or a reader. Why I love being a reader is easy. I wrote a whole blog post on this. So I’ll start with those reasons.
- It makes me smarter. I love to learn new things and I learn best when I read. In a way that I can never focus on a lecture or a TV show, I can become completely absorbed by the words on a page.
- It carries happy memories from my childhood. I can remember listening to my mom read and the excitement when I could first read for myself. An introvert from the beginning, the hours that I spent with books were some of my happiest as a kid.
- I get to go somewhere else and be someone else, even if just for a little while. Not that I’m unhappy with who I am or where I am, but it’s nice to lose myself in a different world once and awhile. A place where the stresses of the day can fade into the background and my mind can quit turning for a bit.
- I love to read to my kids, or to kids at the library, or to anyone really. I love the looks on people’s faces when they discover a new story.
- And while I have an e-reader, and I do use it occasionally (especially when we travel), I love everything about a physical book – the way the pages feel, the heft of it in my hands, the sound of flipping pages, the smell of the paper…
- It makes me happy, it brings me joy. It’s really that simple.
Thinking about why I love being a blogger was tough for me since I have recently been doubting the wisdom of continuing to blog. But for some reason, for now, I keep doing it. That means there has to be some reasons – right?
- Because I love books, and I have a passion to share what I love about books with other people.
- I am horribly introverted, so blogging is my way of communicating with people that I would never initiate a conversation with if we were in the same room.
- I love to hear about what other people are reading (although it only makes my own list longer!).
- There are soooo many books out there, and there are so many wonderful ones that never get any attention. Maybe someday someone will read a book because they saw it on my blog, and maybe they will love it, and maybe that will make a difference to them.