Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. Book bloggers create their own lists based on the chosen topics and post links to our lists. It’s a way of all sharing our thoughts and our love of books. And who doesn’t love lists??
So this week’s challenge was to list the top ten goals/resolutions for 2014, bookish or not. In the spirit of my blog, most of mine are bookish. You can see the different reading challenges I’ve signed up for this year by looking at my 2014 Challenges post and I’ve highlighted some of them here. I’ve also thrown in some personal goals, because although I am a book nerd there are other aspects to my life!
So, for my top 6 bookish goals:
- Read what I WANT to read, WHEN I want to read it! I am not going to get caught up in the feeling that I need to read the greatest new release just because I think I should be talking about it on my blog. Without worrying about current trends I am going to read whatever interests me, and then share it with anyone who cares to know!
- Share new and different things on my blog – quotes that I love, great new picture books, fun bookish crafts, early literacy activities, current issues for us bibliophiles, whatever it is that is on my mind in a bookish way will be fair game! I am not going to limit myself to simply talking about the books that I’ve been reading.
- Continuing reading more non-fiction. I did increase my non-fiction reading in 2013, and I am taking on the Nonfiction Challenge this year hoping to continue the trend!
- Re-read some classics that I loved as a teenager! I completely failed at this last year, but am promising myself to get to it this year and successfully complete the Classics Challenge.
- Read books that I already own! Rarely do I purchase books brand new – working in a library takes care of my need for the newest releases – but I do buy a ton of used books and get them as gifts and my to-be-read shelves are overflowing! I am not going to be distracted all the time by the shiny new covers at the library and am going to make some progress towards my TBR Challenge this year!
- READ! READ! READ! There are too many wonderful books out there and not enough hours in the day! So whether physical books, e-books, fiction, picture books, juvenile books, YA, mystery, non-fiction, ARCs, or audio books I am going to try to get through 200 books this year!
And now for my top 4 personal goals that are not book-related:
- OK – this one actually IS book related, but to me it is highly personal. I want to read to my kids more. We used to try to read together every night but as my son has entered his senior year of high school, busy with school activities, friends, work, etc it has gotten set aside too many nights. We can all spare 15 minutes for each other – we just need to make ourselves get back in the habit!
- Spend more time with my kids and hubby in general – the quality kind of time with the electronics turned off! Not just reading time, but playing board games and talking and cooking dinner together on Sundays. My babies are both getting way too old way too quickly and I need to grab the moments that we still have together.
- Home improvements – in and out! We’ve only been in our house for the past three years and we are making it our own but there are still things I want to change. This should be the year for renovating our bedroom, expanding our gardening and making some enhancements to the landscaping and flowers. Spring can’t get here soon enough!
- Oh yeah – and all the other stuff that I always say I’m going to do but that never seems to stick – lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier, …