Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. Book bloggers create their own lists based on the chosen topics and post links to our lists. It’s a way of all sharing our thoughts and our love of books. And who doesn’t love lists??
So this week’s challenge was to list the top ten most memorable secondary characters. Those characters in novels that were not the main focus, but that captured your imagination, made you want to see more of them. Some of mine come from the same series of books, series that have wonderful casts of characters, which is part of what makes those series great.
- Rudy – Liesel’s dearest friend in The Book Thief. He is sweet and awkward, funny and brave. Everything a first love and a best friend should be.
- Neville Longbottom – Who doesn’t love this dorky and awkward wizard from the Harry Potter series? Especially when he finds it in himself to become a courageous hero.
- Professor Snape – The poor misunderstood and heartbroken seeming-villain of the Harry Potter series who is ultimately proven to be a hero.
- Professor McGonagall – Another character from the Harry Potter series – tough, brave, smart, kind, and caring she really should have been the headmaster long ago!
- Foaly – The geeky, arrogant, but utterly cool and brilliant centaur in the Artemis Fowl series.
- Holly Short – The tough, determined elf police woman from the Artemis Fowl series. Her relationship with Artemis is humorous, difficult, and touching.
- Hassan Harbish – The funny, smart, witty sidekick in An Abundance of Katherines always made me laugh.
- LuLu – How to describe LuLu? This ex-prostitute who squeezes into spandex, eats lots of fried chicken and donuts, and manages to nearly kill everyone she tries to help is a laugh a minute in the Stephanie Plum series.
- Hawk – I adore this funny, smart, tough, will-do-anything pal to Spenser in the series by Robert B. Parker. You know he always has Spenser’s back and their relationship is both hilarious and touching.
- Cokie – The mulatto driver for the madam in Ruta Sepetys’s Out of the Easy is ultimately the one who is there for Josie. His constancy and his humbleness while doing what is right make him one of my favorites.
Completely agree with you Neville is so lovable! 🙂 Great list!
YES! Lulu!! I forgot about her! How could I??? She was great
LuLu is such a great secondary character! I love it everytime she shows up and the fact that she became more and more important was a huge plus for me. great list!
I love Hassan! I’m so glad he turned up on someone else’s list. Aw Rudy, he really is sweet.